Monday, October 8, 2012

Lining Your Nest

I have been busy the last several weeks working on decorating and updating my home. I have been having a wonderful time, and I have to say that when I walk into my house now, it truly feels like coming home. I know that probably sounds cliche, but let me elaborate.

Years ago, I decorated my bedroom based upon some fabric that I really loved. I'm a red girl, but very much aware that red is not the color choice for when you want to relax and go to sleep. So, I chose one of the other colors in the fabric ... a smoky dark blue to paint my walls. In theory, it was absolutely beautiful. I had two very large windows that brought plenty of light into the room, so I knew I could pull it off without feeling like I was entering a cave.

Well, folks ... it didn't work. It was beautiful. It was coordinated. It worked with the fabric I had used on the drapes and the red cornice boards. But, I realized after several months, that I NEVER spent time in my bedroom. I'd leave it as soon as the day started and never return until the end of the day. It really wasn't "Me!"

At the time, however, I was younger (around 28) and didn't really know yet exactly what was me. So, I started reading the "Simple Abundance" book by Sarah Ban Breathnach that was so popular at the time. One of the prompts in the book was to start a scrapbook and whenever something "spoke" to you, you put a picture of that in your scrapbook. So, that is what I did, and "Voila!" Over time, I realized what truly was me. So, I painted over those blue walls, they became a soft creamy ivory and then I sponged a soft sage green very delicately on the walls. I kept the red cornice boards, and then changed my bedding to a creamy ivory background with red and yellow toile style flowers and, you guessed it probably ... sage green leaves. At the time I don't think anyone knew the phrase "Shabby Chic" but that is what my bedroom became.

Afterwards, I couldn't stay out of that room! I wanted to be in my room all day long, every day ... but alas my children and husband needed me to function outside of my bedroom.

So, here I am, once again, making my house uniquely mine. I'm having a ball, and ... when I come into my home, I once again have that feeling of "Aaaahhhhhhhh," I'm really home now. This space is "ME!"

So, my brag Monday entry is actually some placemats that I've designed to use on my new dining table (I'll post picks after I finish a few things so that you can see). And they are ... you guessed it ... red!! But, I promise ... there is no dark steel blue, as pretty as that color may be, on the walls of my home!

So, my challenge to you is ... how do you feel in each space of your home? Is there a room that you love, and why? Is there a room that you don't spend any time in? I know why! It isn't you. And, if it isn't you, and you don't know what is ... I promise that if you start making a scrapbook (you could even update that by using a Pinterest board) of anything that "speaks" to you, you'll start to see some patterns, and you'll realize what you need to do to make your living spaces create that feeling of "AAaaaaaHhhhhhhh" I'm finally home.

So, here is my brag Monday entry (Many thanks to the Graphic Fairy for her generous use of the nest graphic). Let me know what you think!!



If you click on the picture, it will take you to my Zazzle store, where you'll see some of my other designs. Maybe it will give you food for thought for your journaling to find out what is "YOU!"

Have a wonderful week Mes Amies!!

Lorraine

2 comments:

marda said...

A gal after my own heart.. I'm a "red" girl too. Just usually small touches of it here and there.
I've seen pictures with various shades of red used in painting the walls of a dining room, etc...never was that bold myself. Really like your placemats..great color.

I have to say I think I love all my rooms in this house. We built it 9 years ago, and for the first time I really got to do it up from the floors up. I think they're all comfy cozy pleasant to be in rooms. It's a mixture of "styles" but they're all "us".

Unknown said...

Good for you!! Isn't it a wonderful feeling when it's "just right!" I now call my style "Pottery Barn on Crack." I have to admit that my great room, which has a tone of light, has raspberry red walls. Yes ... that's the color on the paint can. My kitchen has a yellow that took me forever to mix up ... I had to play around with that one til I got it right. My entry hall is a beautiful french blue, and my front breakfast/library room is green apple. But, my furnishings are very traditionally french inspired or Pottery barn neutral. People come in, praise me for my courage, and then tell me it's so "me!" I'm not sure what to think that means!