Monday, October 15, 2012

House Decorating: Small and Large Scale

Have I mentioned before that I absolutely adore fall? I know it's probably overkill, but I truly do. I love Halloween as well. Nothing is more fun than opening your door and seeing little ones in the cutest outfits and looking so hopeful. So, I always make something new to decorate my home for Halloween.

So, for today's Brag Monday (see the Graphic's Fairy button to the left) I decided that since I'm in the process of really amping up my home decor, I could do an overhaul to a smaller home, a la Halloween. Here is my final Halloween House:





At the risk of sounding a tad bit OCD (okay maybe a lot), the orange roof is actually hundreds of little circles of paper so that I could have a spanish tile roof. Need I say more. I apparently LOVE tedious work. Would this be the project for everyone? No, However, anyone can do it. Truly.

I purchased a card board house from Hobby Lobby (with my 40% off coupon, so it was around 4.99), but Michael's and JoAnn's have them as well. I then found scrapbook paper that fit the Halloween theme, covered the major parts, and then made X's in each of the holes so that I could push the paper back inside and glue it inside of the house (resulting in nicely finished doors and windows. I used scrapbook borders for the window shutters.

I then looked the the Graphic's Fairies halloween images to find the skeletons and cats so that I could have them peeking out of the window.

I love my little house. It looks perfect in my entry hall. I will turn on a flameless candle at night so that it will flicker through the windows (I used vellum for the window pictures) and light up the house within.

I hope you enjoy!

4 comments:

marda said...

This is great... if I had grandkids near by I'd probably do this too. Not so sure I'd do the roof that way!!!! Ha. Halloween decorating seems to be growing more popular. I'm not quite on that bandwagon yet.

Unknown said...

Really ... you don't want to meticulously punch out hundreds of little circles and glue them one by one in alternating rows? Oh, Marda ... where is your sense of adventure? LOL!! I don't blame you. After I finished, I realized how crazy that was. Obviously I hadn't thought about what it would take to make that happen until I was in the middle of it.

I don't do a ton of decorating, but I add one thing every year, so that by now I have a nice stock of decorations. I mostly decorate for fall, and then put out a few halloween during October and a few Thanksgiving during November.

maj. said...

Stunning work with beautiful details!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Maj. I have to admit ... it's a project I'm pretty proud of and will make sure it is brought out every year!