Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Lorraine's Cuisine: Chocolate Pate with Raspberry Sauce

I don't believe I've discussed this before ... but I do love to cook. I consider myself an "amateur" foodie. Not an expert ... but definitely a connoisseur of good food. And so ... since we speak about elegance, style, and beauty ... I truly believe we can't leave out some of the simplest pleasures in life:  Food.  Therefore, I decided to share some of my favorite recipes with you. From my kitchen to yours as a new blog feature:  Lorraine's Cuisine.

And bien sur ... let's just start out with a bang, n'est-ce pas? Let's go straight to chocolate ... and not just any chocolate, let's start at the mother load of all chocolate dishes up my sleeve: Chocolate Pate'.

What I love about this recipe is that it is bursting with flavor, elegance, and yet ... it truly is easy.  My fave!!  Something that takes a minimal amount of effort, but tastes like you slaved in the kitchen for ages!!  And, for those of you who are true 100% made from scratch Foodies ... I know some of this may offend ... but I'm being realistic here.  Sometimes we need elegance but don't have the time to do everything from scratch.  That's where this recipe comes in.  A realistic guilty pleasure!

So, let's get started ... I promise ... just reading this recipe will transport you to Chocolate Heaven!



Ingredients:
PATE:
      16 oz. quality bittersweet chocolate (and don't go cheap on this ... a really good one or not all all!  I promise it's worth it!)
      1/4 cup red wine or Zinfandel 

        (for non alcoholic drinkers, a dark red cooking sherry will do ... but you truly want this to balance out the flavors)
      1/4 cup heavy cream

SAUCE:
      seedless raspberry jam

GARNISH:
      whole red raspberries

Directions:
      Line the bottom of a small, straight-sided loaf pan (9” X 2½“X 2”) or pate mold with parchment paper (wax paper also works if you don't have parchment). Combine the pate ingredients in the top of a double boiler or heavy-bottomed pan. Cook gently on low heat for one or less minute, being careful not to overheat. Whisk just until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Return to heat briefly in between whisking if necessary. Pour into prepared mold or pan. Refrigerate over night (I've put this in the freezer for 4 hours in a pinch - pull out of freezer 15 minutes before you begin dinner and it should be just right when you're ready for dessert).

      To serve: Unmold the pate and remove paper. Slice with a knife that has been dipped in hot water. Melt the seedless raspberry jam in the microwave until sauce consistency. Put a dollop (turn on your inner chef and create a swirl or zig zag) of the melted jam on a plate and top with a slice of pate. Garnish with whole berries.

Notes:
      This pate is strictly for hard-core chocolate users!  Just a little bit goes a long way.  Eat slowly, letting the chocolate melt on your tongue.  It is something that everyone should experience at least once in their life!!



Now … what we all have been waiting for … Go to my Paper Crafting 2.0 page (up above) … Tevis has knocked one out of the park with her Coco inspired Paper Crafted necklace.  Here’s a teaser:

coco-chanel-necklace-modela1

No comments: