Friday, July 13, 2012

Freebie Friday: Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Today I just have to get something off of my chest (and no it is not chest hair, judging from my title).

I have had a bad few months when it came to my hair. Was I going to grow it out? Was I going to cut it again? Did my desire to cut it just mean I was sick of the in-between-phase? On and on the dilemma went.

I would guess that (at least in America) there are probably about 3 in 5 women who are doing this same thing every day. Especially when we are having a bad hair day!!

I have a little bit of perspective to share with you about hair. I hope my unique perspective clears some things up.

As I mentioned previously, I glow in the dark. Not literally, but if you count the amount of radiation and chemo I've had, I SHOULD glow in the dark! Well, as you know, one of the side effects of this is hair loss. And when I say hair loss, I mean EVERYWHERE!!

At first I thought I'd have fun with this. I ordered every kind of fun wig I could afford. Long, with sassy stripes of highlights. Short blonde bobs, long red curls, short black bobs, etc. What I didn't think about or know, was that your scalp is so sensitive, that wearing wigs is actually kind of painful. So, around the house, I just went bald. Often in public, I'd wear a hat, or some beautiful scarves. I felt that I was handling it all emotionally very well.

What I didn't realize, was how much my femininity was tied to my hair. Think about it. As women, we are constantly thinking about our hair, every day. Do I have time to wash it? Do I have time to curl it? Or straighten it? Is it a bad hair day and will I wear it up in a pony tail, or with a head band? If we have a special presentation at work, how will we fix our hair so that we look professional? If we are getting married ... how will we wear our hair to best compliment our dress and looks? Every day we think long and hard about our hair.

Well, when you don't have hair, and you've spent your entire life thinking about your hair every day, suddenly you feel extremely off kilter. Even though I knew that with the beautiful wigs I had bought, I could still look attractive. I still did not feel completely like a woman should feel.

Our hair is truly a part of our identity. And, so, instead of continuing to debate about what I was going to do with my hair (thus wearing a headband or a hair clip every day and not looking like the polished person I usually try to present), I decided that I had to do something. I decided to channel my inner self and put that on my head.

Here is the result:

I cannot begin to tell you how much better I feel about myself! No more headbands. No more feeling ugly all over, even if it is just my hair that's not great. Our hair truly does have an influence on how we perceive ourselves, and, unfortunately, how others perceive us.

So, with that in mind, today's Freebie Friday is a fabulous quote by Givenchy that I hope you'll enjoy. Please feel free to click on the picture and then right click to save. You may print it out for personal use, but not mass produce, or use for commercial use in any manner. You, of course, may always send someone to my blog to download their own copy.


So, here is my challenge to you: Does your hair reflect who you are? Not the person you were 20 years ago. Not someone else whose haircut was appealing on them and so you copied it, but it still doesn't "feel" right. Not the person that you are afraid you are inside. But, the true, beautiful you. If it doesn't, then do something about it. I promise you, you'll feel more beautiful and your inner self will be reflected even more on your outer self.

Bon Soir Mes Amies,

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

P.S. I can't wait to find out who wins the give away!! I'm so excited, it feels like Christmas morning!!

4 comments:

L Greer said...

I love that photo of you - you look absolutely beautiful! And, your hair looks beautiful also. I really enjoy reading your blog - it's almost like having a real conversation with you. Your personality shows through in everything you write, and you haven't changed a bit from high school! PS - we really should have a real live conversation sometime soon!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Lynette! I have seen your pictures on your facebook page and see that you are every bit as beautiful as you were in high school as well! Inside and out! Thank you so much for the compliment on my writing. For years I have felt there was a book inside of me, but I've decided to take it one blog at a time. This has been a labor of love and I am enjoying every minute of it, as well as creating my jewelry line. I wish you were here near me so you could see me and my jewelry booth at our local Italian Festival. It attracts over 10,000 people and I'm a little nervous, but also excited all the same.

P.S. Yes ... we should talk in person. We have loads to catch up on.

kathy said...

I also think your hair looks beautiful; it suits your face, and leaves the focus on your pretty smile. Your husband is 100% right.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Kathy! What a lovely compliment. I would return the compliment, but I only see a shadow of you! :o) I appreciate everyone that reads my blog. And to get a comment is even more of a "high five" for me. Have a wonderful day!!